Wednesday 21 November 2012

My favourite rooms - redux

I wrote a post a while ago about my favourite rooms to fill the properties in EA's Monopoly Hotels game.

That was, as I said, a while ago.

Not just in time, but really in experience with the game, and buying capacity as well: at that time, I was halfway through level 35.

Today, I am at level 43. And I have used the time in between to purchase a few high-paying rooms. Really high paying.

Which means it's time to review my favourite rooms - they are rather different now.

At level 35, I was still in lust-after-high-end-rooms mode. Mostly, I had Top Hat rooms in all my hotels, with one each of the Golden Oaks, Dragon Breath and Sweet Apple rooms in each hotel to ensure the maximum return in terms of XP and M$. (Well, Thimble rooms would have brought in more M$ than Top Hat rooms, but I would have to collect every 45 minutes - something I was not willing to do, as it would mean mostly putting my entire life on hold for the game!)

Back then, I was excited when I got some Key rooms and a handful of Campsite rooms (with good reason - those are high-producing single-square rooms!):



Since then, the game landscape has changed significantly. EA has made gold-producing rooms a reality, so my focus has definitely expanded to saving up enough gold to buy some of those lovely rooms: I now have just one Golden Goose (Golden Egg, officially, but I dislike that name), five Golden Cauldron rooms (2 built a while ago when they were at 30% off, 3 more being built because I just purchased them during the current half-off sale), and just one of the Golden Treasure rooms - also a build-in-progress, because I just bought it.



The Golden Goose, I will admit, is not one of my favourite properties, but that is simply my personal bias: I prefer a room that takes up 4 squares to give me a much better yield!

The Golden Cauldron, on the other hand, is probably my current absolute favourite, just because it gives me 10 gold every 7 hours ... (yes, I'm a gold-digging, money-grubbing capitalist, can't you tell?)






(The two in-process-of-painting rooms are my brand new Golden Cauldrons, in case you were wondering; the in-process-of-building is a Rake room, and the empty space will hold a Basket room just as soon as I save up enough gold - I'm working on earning the Incognito Turkey sticker for this hotel. Yes, it's negative ROI because the sticker will only pay me 200 gold for an outlay of 288 gold, but I figure those Golden Cauldrons give me the scope to have some fun as well as just invest for the highest returns!)



(This is currently my highest yielding property with all those Campsites, Microphones, Harvest Pumpkins and Volcanoes: over M$66,000,000 per day on average.)

Another of my favourite properties is the Ventnor Museum, where I am slowly replacing the empty spaces and then the lower-yielding rooms with Neanderthals and Volcanoes for their truly exceptional rent and XP returns, given the low outlay for these two rooms. Okay, the Volcanoes is pricey, but given that it spits out M$1,250,000 and 312,500 XP every 3 hours, it's actually quite unbeatable value right now at 375 gold.



For the Aquarium, there are really no high-yield rooms except that Golden Treasure, so I anticipate that will be my first choice to build each time I have enough gold saved up and want to build something in the Aquarium. Right now, I'm building my very first Golden Treasure, as you can see:



For sheer whimsy, I like the Bamboo Habitat in the Tennessee Zoo (or rather, as I prefer to call it: the Panda room!) ... the animations of the Pandas are every bit as endearing as Pandas are in real life:




Having all those gold-producing rooms brings my gold-earning capacity to ... about 160 gold bars per day from all the gold-producing rooms, assuming I collect as frequently as possible: 4 times a day for the Golden Goose room, twice a day for the Golden Treasure, and 3 times a day for the Golden Cauldrons.

This, in turn, makes it possible to buy other high-producing rooms.

So far, I've picked up several Microphone rooms, a couple of Harvest Pumpkin rooms, a Rake room (currently being built) and a Tiny Pilgrim Hat room. 

All of those combine to bring up my daily M$ rent averages, too: I anticipate more than M$100,000,000 per day on average, because I have 5 of the Microphone rooms (average daily payout: M$5,000,000), 3 Harvest Pumpkins (average daily payout: M$16,000,000 per room for a total of M$48,000,000 per day), a single Tiny Pilgrim Hat (average daily payout: M$6,000,000), 4 Volcanoes (maximum daily payout per room: M$10,000,000 for a maximum of M$40,000,000 per day) and 7 Neanderthal rooms (maximum daily payout per room: M$1,250,000 for a total maximum daily payout of M$8,750,000).

Note that I list the Volcanoes and Neanderthals with maximum payouts: I don't always collect them on time because I may miss a mid-day collection or a late night collection (yes, the day job and sleep times interfere with rent collection!)

By the way, all of these ultra-high-payout rooms take up barely 2 full hotels ... the rest are still mostly filled with Top Hats, and several Key rooms, Campsites and Rock Walls!

Which means I have a long way to go before I have primped out my hotels and specialty properties to be the highest possible yield ... I am looking forward to several more months of interesting room-building and upgrading activities.

Right now, I am pleasantly anticipating having enough gold by the end of the week (the sale week, I mean: next Wednesday) to pick up at least one of the Flute rooms ... it's still my most-lusted-after room, even though I've taken detours to buy Golden Cauldrons instead of the Flute so far.

Adding a single Flute will increase my daily rent by M$30,000,00, so I can see loads of opportunities to pick up even more high-yield rooms once I get to that point ... my daily average rent will be close to M$150,000,000!

As you can see, the list of favourite rooms really depends on your current level and earning capacity. One room that I will pick up several more of as soon as I can is the Volcanoes: it's the best bet for XP right now (312,500 XP every 3 hours is currently unbeatable by any other room, even the ones you pay mega-bucks for) ... which means that the more of these I have, the quicker I advance to higher levels.

NOT that higher levels mean much any more ... once you're past about level 35, I don't think there are any more rooms to unlock, it's simply about wanting to be at a higher level because those higher levels are there. It's a very non-zen sort of thing, really.

Here's me, rubbing my greedy little paws together, off to do another rent collection now ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note that, in order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated ... if you don't see your comment yet, please don't worry, it's simply that I have a day job and haven't yet processed comments since the last update.