Tuesday 31 July 2012

Time Waster Beyond Compare

July 14, 2012 was a wasted day. So was July 15.

If you don't know why, just check the blog title - July 14 was the day I discovered the Monopoly Hotels app from Electronic Arts. It was a gorgeous, sunny, summer day in Toronto. I spent the whole day indoors, glued to my iPhone, playing the game instead of going out and enjoying the day. I hasten to add that I only did that on the weekend ... I do have a "normal" desk job - one that involves many 12-hour days for 8-hour wages.

But I digress. Back to Monopoly Hotels.



As of this writing, the app is free for iOS devices. All I have today is the iPhone, so that's the version I've downloaded and installed.

Electronic Arts (EA) seems to release updates fairly frequently (I believe there's already been at least one, maybe two since I installed the app), so check back often and download the latest version. New versions seem to add things to various areas - new hotels (the game does not yet have all the hotels that appear on the board in the original game of Monopoly), new Guest Rooms, new Attractions ... presumably also new sticker collections and guests to sign your Guest Book.

Anyway, back to what I was saying: EA's Monopoly Hotels is an addictive little game, for all that it's not a shoot-em-up or other fast-paced action game. In fact, the name of the game here is patience. Something I don't have a lot of in real life. But this game sure teaches it to you!

I am still learning the game, so my insights may be very different from those of you who've had it for a while and have figured out all the tips and tricks and shortcuts.

The biggest eye-opener for me so far has been the calculation of a room's actual value - I'll put up some charts over time, as I do those calculations.

For now, suffice it to say, I discarded TV several years ago, deeming it a mindless time-waster.

Well, Monopoly Hotels has arrived in my world - and it's even MORE of a time waster than TV ever was (I've never spent a whole ten hours at a stretch in front of a TV, but I've done that a few times already with this game!)

Sicko that I am, I don't actually seem to mind the time wasted ... it's challenging my brain in some way, I think.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note that, in order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated ... if you don't see your comment yet, please don't worry, it's simply that I have a day job and haven't yet processed comments since the last update.