Thursday 29 November 2012

A pathetic upgrade this week from EA

Seriously pathetic. Today's update to the game is going to upset many Monopoly Hotels fans.

We have users screaming about having lost all their rooms, EA tells us to send them a private message using their FaceBook page, and doesn't even bother to respond to those messages for days on end.

And then they decide to do an update: gold-producing rooms have gone to double their previous price. No, I don't just mean that the Golden Cauldron, which cost 700 gold last week, is now 1,400 gold (last week's full price). Instead, it now costs 2,800 gold - even higher than the price of 2,000 gold that this room originally debuted at.

All the other gold-producing rooms have similarly doubled in price from two weeks ago, or quadrupled compared to last week's half-off sale. Even a Gold Mine Cart will now set you back a nice 72 gold instead of the old price of 36 gold. And you will pay almost 1,100 gold for a Golden Treasure in the Aquarium this week!

Could it be a simple mistake? That someone forgot that the gold-producing rooms were NOT on 50% sale any more and just said to double the price of rooms you buy with gold, not realising that the gold-producing rooms would also be affected? It's certainly possible. But how likely is that? I just don't know.

I'm NOT impressed. I'd had 5 Golden Cauldrons before I lost all my rooms ... over this past week, I've painstakingly scraped together enough gold to buy 2 replacement Golden Cauldrons. I don't think I have the patience to save up 2,800 gold for a full-price Golden Cauldron, or even 1,400 gold for one at half-price if they ever go on a 50% sale again.

In another apparent attempt to limit players' ability to generate gold, EA has also removed the two top gold-yielding trains: the Big Boy Locomotive and the Bullet Train are no longer available for purchase. 

If you ask me, those trains will reappear at a later date, at a hugely inflated price to "compensate" for the excellent gold yield they provide ... and I suspect there will be a couple of different trains introduced that will cost about as much as these two did last week, but will yield less gold and/or will depart less frequently.

EA has also introduced two new rooms this week, but I seriously cannot find it in me to be enthused: I did manage to purchase 3 Harvest Pumpkin rooms since my personal Black Friday loss of rooms, and was saving up the cash hoping for a good sale on M$ rooms this week or next week.

Now I find myself just shrugging and deciding to find something else to do rather than play a game where they move the goal-posts whenever it suits their fancy.

It feels like EA just decided to shaft their users this week - I'm not sure I understand why. Someone at the decision-making level apparently decided that gold was now getting far too easy to achieve in the game, I think - hence the changes.

Meh. Colour me unimpressed. I was willing to be patient, to defend EA despite the buggy releases ... but not any longer.

I'm still waiting to hear from EA about the rooms I lost, but I definitely will not be holding my breath for any length of time: I think my best bet is to simply continue rebuilding my rooms as fast as I can and save up for any sales in the hopes of getting even remotely close to my old hotel landscape and average daily rents.

3 comments:

  1. Incase you did not notice. All hotels are 30% off. Maybe you already own them all, in that case you can't notice it. But i thought you should know because you were really pissed of by the whole "GOLD" thing.

    Greatz from Holland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Logged in with an Origin account in order to use the railroad and lost all my rooms in one of my hotels that took days to build. I only just got to collect from them yesterday for the first time.

    Just deleted the game. Enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, man! That sucks! But you only lost rooms from one hotel? You're majorly lucky in that.EA really needs to fix whatever the damned bugs are that make us lose our rooms.

      Delete

Note that, in order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated ... if you don't see your comment yet, please don't worry, it's simply that I have a day job and haven't yet processed comments since the last update.