Thursday 8 November 2012

An odd bag of updates today

I think EA's team has been inundated with complaints about the functioning (or non-functioning, in the case of the affected parties) RailRoad - so much so that they didn't really coordinate what was being released for today's update.

Either that, or they are phasing in a 2-day update process.

Seriously.

I saw the first update around mid-afternoon today - when I logged in, trying to get some more gold for my GO bonus, it started to update the game, with some wording that a 2 MB update was being installed.

When I finally got into the game, it was instantly obvious that there was something going on: the background was no longer the dark evening/night sky, but a rosy-orangeish shade. No, I have no idea what this shade is:



Huh. Here on the computer, it looks mostly orange with some yellow undertones - maybe a fall colour palette. On my iphone, it's more pinkish!

Okay, let's assume they are going for a fall template right now.

Anyway, at that point, I checked the Guest Rooms, and the gold-producing rooms were still 30% off.

An hour later, I got another update, this time small enough that it didn't even tell me how large it was.




Curiouser and curiouser (apologies to Lewis Carrol).

I looked through the Guest Rooms, the Attractions and the Decorations, plus also the Vermont Aquarium, the Tennessee Zoo and the Ventnor Museum.

No new rooms at all.

Then what was this fly-by ad about? (See the advert at the top of the picture)



I've only seen that ad flash past the one time. But I'm suspecting it may be a harbinger of things to come: some more Fairy Tale rooms are just around the corner, apparently, including one based on the Frog Prince. (Was that the name of the story? I can't remember ...)

I didn't notice anything particularly different, except that the sale on gold-producing rooms is finally over. Yes, that was the main difference between the 2MB update and the littler one an hour later.

And yes, all the gold-producing rooms are now cheaper than when they were first introduced: the Golden Cauldron room, for example, initially used to cost 2,000 gold bars, and it now costs 1,400 gold bars. So it wasn't a mistake that the first time they went on sale, the half-price for this room was 999 gold bars and the following week, when it was only 30% off, it cost 980 gold bars.

Oh, except for one gold-producing room: the Golden Touch (Midas) room is still M$250,000,000. I guess there must be people buying the room at that price - I haven't felt the least temptation to do so.

No new hotels.

No new utilities.

I can wait.

There are no changes to any of the existing properties, and no new rooms anywhere in the Museum or Zoo or Aquarium either.

The sale of the week seems to be a half-off sale on all the My Little Pony rooms. I guess, if you want to complete your Friendship is Magic sticker, this would be a good week to do it. But I can't see spending all that gold to earn just 50 gold! Not even if it's half as much as I would spend if there wasn't a sale on.



Oh, and one more unexpected twist: Jake the burglar is out of his Hallowe'en costume. Now he seems to be playing some sort of Wild West guy ... maybe this isn't a fall theme, but a "riding into the sunset" theme? The colours would work either way!

Here's the new Jake:



As EA says on their Facebook page, their engineers are working on fixing the issues with the RailRoad, so I guess that's where the main focus is going to be for now. But still, I just have this unsettled feeling with today's updates.


All in all, I suspect there is more to come - this update seems strangely unfinished. I've logged in a couple of times since the last update, and although I got one more gold bonus on my GO dice roll, I haven't actually seen the app update itself on log in. I'm expecting to see at least a couple more updates over the next 24 hours, though - wonder what exactly those new Fairy Tale rooms are!

2 comments:

  1. i think jake's costume is about thanks giving

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I noticed 2 new goals in the Sticker Book.
    Mount Fuji Myth and Bring the Heat.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Note that, in order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated ... if you don't see your comment yet, please don't worry, it's simply that I have a day job and haven't yet processed comments since the last update.