Tuesday 7 August 2012

Don't let your hotels go dark!

Monopoly Hotels, I mean. The game, by Electronic Arts? Yeah, that game.


So, normally, your Electric company looks like this:


Nice and bright. Glowing like a light bulb.

Oh, wait.

That *is* a bloomin' lightbulb.

Anyway, do you know what happens when it goes from BRIGHT like you see above to ... not so bright?

Well, if it looks like this:


or even like this:


... nothing much will change.

You can even get away with this:


... but when your Electric Company page looks like this:
... that's when you have a problem.

It's not obvious what the problem is ... after all, in real life, you routinely find your way from your bed to your bathroom in the dark without much more consequence other than the occasional stubbed toe, right?

Well, Monopoly Hotels has a nice little twist for you.

It doesn't stub your toe.

Instead, if the lights are out, it signals that by darkening the hotels, like so:

If you are like me, you *really* don't see the difference between this and:
at 2:00 a.m.

Let's face it, if it's the middle of the night and everything around you is dark, your brain, like mine, is probably way too foggy to notice little nuances like lighting on the game.

But, as I found out to my disgust (AFTER a whole hotel's worth of collecting rent) is that Electronic Arts, to make the game more interesting, have decided that when the lights are out, you only get to collect 50% of the room rent! That is to say, if your favourite hotel pays out M$15,000 on a normal rent day, you will be able to collect only M$7,500 when the lights are out.

That's powerful motivation: now, before I go to sleep, I try to make sure I'm ON the electric board screen, so that I don't have to think too much when I glance at the screen in the middle of the night ...

The alternative would be to NOT check the screen in the wee hours of the morning when the gremlins wake you up ... naaaah, it's way too tempting, given that the phone's right beside me ... what if there were to be a super-bonus-special gift of gold provided only to those who are awake at wee-hour-number-3 or something? :)

1 comment:

  1. My electricity company never powers out its always full and I don't know why?

    ReplyDelete

Note that, in order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated ... if you don't see your comment yet, please don't worry, it's simply that I have a day job and haven't yet processed comments since the last update.